Human Rights Watch accuses Israel of war crimes over Gaza displacements




Israeli authorities have caused a forced displacement of Palestinian people in Gaza to an extent that constitutes war crimes and crimes against humanity, Human Rights Watch said in a report on Thursday.

The report is the latest in a series from aid groups and international bodies warning about the dire humanitarian situation in the besieged enclave.

"Human Rights Watch found that forced displacement has been widespread, and the evidence shows it has been systematic and part of a state policy. Such acts also constitute crimes against humanity," the report said.

There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military or foreign ministry, but Israeli authorities have previously rejected such accusations and say their forces operate in compliance with international law.

The law of armed conflict forbids the forcible displacement of civilian populations from occupied territory, unless necessary for the security of civilians or imperative military reasons.

A group of people stand near rubble
The photo, posted to X by IDF spokesperson Avichay Adraee, was taken on Oct. 21 when the latest evacuation order was given to residents of the north. As fighting picks up again in that part of the Gaza Strip, hundreds were asked to leave, but they say they have no place to go. (@avichayadraee)

Israel invaded the Gaza Strip last year after Hamas-led gunmen attacked communities in southern Israel, killing around 1,200 people, according to Israeli authorities, and abducting more than 250 as hostages.

Since then, the Israeli campaign has killed more than 43,500 people, according to Gaza health authorities, and destroyed much of the enclave's infrastructure, forcing most of the 2.3 million population to move several times.

For the past month, Israeli troops have moved tens of thousands of people from areas in the north of the enclave as they have sought to destroy Hamas forces the military says have been reforming around the towns of Jabalia, Beit Lahiya and Beit Hanoun.

Human Rights Watch said the displacement of Palestinians "is likely planned to be permanent in the buffer zones and security corridors," an action it said would amount to "ethnic cleansing."

The Israeli military has denied seeking to create permanent buffer zones and Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said on Monday that Palestinians displaced from their homes in northern Gaza would be allowed to return at the end of the war.



Source link

Posted: 2024-11-14 14:51:30

Gran, 75, hit by teen on e-bike left with broken wrist and ribs | UK | News
 



... Read More

How to remove grease from oven trays fast and naturally without vinegar or scrubbing
 



... Read More

Shiffrin likely won't have a target date for ski racing return for another 7-10 days, coach says
 



... Read More

When video game age ratings go wrong | Games
 



... Read More

Mohammed Ben Sulayem brutally shuts down George Russell request as FIA drama continues | F1 | Sport
 



... Read More

Ukraine war briefing: Five killed and homes damaged in series of Russian and Ukrainian attacks | Ukraine
 



... Read More

People with hot water bottles urged to check expiry as some are 'years out of date'
 



... Read More

McIlroy vs Spaun play-off LIVE: Players Championship updates, start time, rules | Golf | Sport
 



... Read More